Sprains and strains are common injuries that fall into three categories: mild, moderate and severe.
What is a sprain?
A sprain is a stretch and/or tear of a ligament, the fibrous band of connective tissue that joins the end of one bone with another. Ligaments stabilize and support the body’s joints. The ligaments that help support, protect, and restrict excessive movement are torn, which is called a sprain.
What is a strain?
A strain is an injury of a muscle and/or tendon. Tendons are fibrous cords of tissue that attach muscles to bone. When these fibrous cords are stretched beyond their normal limits they become strained.
What causes sprain/strains?
Causes for sprains are:
- Direct or Indirect trauma
Causes for strains are:
- Repetitive movements
- Over stretching
- Direct trauma
What are the symptoms of a sprain/strain?
Symptoms for a sprain are:
These symptoms vary in intensity depending on whether the sprain is mild, moderate or severe.
- Symptoms for a strain are:
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle spasms
- These symptoms vary in intensity depending on whether the strain is mild, moderate or severe.
Treatment for sprain/strains
Treatment for a sprain or strain is similar in the beginning with RICE:
After the initial injury one must be evaluated by a medical health professional to determine if more extensive therapy or measure need to be taken to treat the injury.
Prevention of sprains and strains
No one is immune to a sprain or strain injury but there are several things you can do to try and prevent or lessen the severity of the injury.
- Proper conditioning for the activity you are planning in participating
- Properly fitted shoes; a knowledgeable sports shoes clerk or better yet a knowledgeable chiropractor can help you with the fit of your shoes.
- Proper warm up before activity
If you are experiencing sprain or strain symptoms and wish to discuss your treatment options please schedule an appointment with Advanced Wellness Solutions